I’ve noticed that sometimes people get a little one-eyed when it comes to exercise. In their mind, exercising = weight loss. Then, if they don’t start losing weight within the first week or so they get discouraged and give up. The thing is, losing weight doesn’t happen overnight and it generally also requires other changes in lifestyle.However, even if you don’t see a reduction in your waist measurement after the first few days, there are so many other benefits to exercise. Here are just a few:
- Working out regularly helps lower your systolic blood pressure just as much as many medications do, which is great news for your heart.
- Your overall risk of developing cancer is reduced just by walking or cycling for an hour a day.
- Worried about how your bones are going to hold up in old age? A mere 10 minutes of high impact exercise three times a week can boost your bone strength.
- Maintaining an active lifestyle cuts the risk of cognitive decline by around a third and also helps prevent depression.
- Dropping around 5-7% of your body weight can delay, and potentially prevent, Type II Diabetes.
- Exercising for 20-60 minutes three to five times a week can help treat irritable bowel syndrome.
And those are just a few of the health benefits of regular exercise. So don’t be discouraged and give up if you haven’t seen a dramatic change to your waistline yet… if you keep persevering that will happen and in the meantime you’re doing wonders for the overall health of your body… even if you can’t see it!